At St Cecilia’s Hall in Edinburgh, architect Page\ Park has performed a piece of musical magic. It has created a new entrance building on the site of an old caretaker’s flat, and has opened up the existing building to act as a home for its collection of musical instruments.
The decorative bronze stainless entrance facade is inspired by the highly decorated soundboard of the 1725 Francis Coston double-manual harpsichord. This attention to materials and texture is carried through the building, including the ironmongery, which consists of PLPL01 lever handles designed by Fred Pilbrow and classic Lubetkin pull handles, MZP01, designed by Max Burchartz. These are in dark patinated brass, finished with a micro-crystalline wax. This finish erodes naturally with use, leaving a pattern indicative of where hands are placed most often.
The project has won a number of awards, including RICS Award 2018 - Conservation Category; EAA Awards 2018 Regeneration & conservation Award; RIAS Award 2018; GIA Award - Leisure/Arts Category; and, Civic Trust Awards 2019. It was also shortlisted for the 2018 RIAS Andrew Doolan Award and an FX International Interior Design Award.